Security Guard 1 (Public Safety Security Guard - MR02)
UTC Campus Law Enforcement
University of Tennessee, Chattanooga
UTC Security Guards are responsible for the safety and security of the University and Housing, whether on foot or in a vehicle, as well as safety and security of all University resources (students, staff, faculty, visitors, buildings and contents).
Job functions and responsibilities:
- Provide community service such as assisting victims and stranded motorists, taking reports, and patrolling parking lots, buildings and housing
- Perform special assignments including traffic control, escorts, crowd management and control, and package delivery
- Provide escorts on foot or in a vehicle
- Control pedestrian and vehicle traffic
- Take minor reports
- Write reports and complete timesheets
- Check and secure University buildings, lots, and housing (doors, windows, etc.)
- Provide a visible presence in campus housing to deter and detect criminal activity
- Respond to emergency illness and elevator entrapments
- Respond to fire, burglar, or panic alarms
- Respond to incoming calls for service, criminal, natural or medical emergencies
- Responsible and accountable for issued equipment
- May be required to perform fire watches
- May be required to attend formal training courses
- Subject to variable shifts and work weeks as well as mandatory overtime
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Knowledge of the legal limits between a sworn police officer and security officer duties
- Knowledge and ability to refer and notify criminal activity to police officers as a security officer
- Ability to maintain adherence to local, state, and federal laws, University and departmental policies and procedures, as well as request guidance and advice from peers and the on-duty Officer in charge
- Skill, knowledge, and ability to patrol on foot or in a patrol vehicle
- Skill and experience in human relations and communication
- Proficient writing and computer
- Work experience in other security or public service field
- Skill in human relations and communication
Minimum Qualifications: Typically requires a high school diploma or equivalent
A valid driver's license is required. Must be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.