Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The School of Drama is seeking a business manager who will manage the financial operations of the school, primarily in the areas of human resources and finance. This role serves as a resource and advisor to faculty and staff on matters of finance, compliance, policy, hiring, and planning. In this position, the Business Manager will develop budgets and monitor performance against those plans; lead quarterly and annual budget reviews and work closely with the Assistant Dean of Finance and Facilities Operations in preparing reports and gathering information needed for the College of Fine Arts.
Core responsibilities include:
- Handle all aspects of Workday (CMU's HRIS System). Duties include reviewing and approving HR transactions and specific administrative needs of the members of the School of Drama, spanning staff, students, and faculty; effort certification, uploading labor distributions, costing allocations, purchase orders, expense reports, and purchasing card verifications in Oracle
- Ensure that faculty, staff, and students are paid correctly and on time
- Liaise with CFA Finance Team
- Support all department hiring to ensure that faculty and staff are hired according to University and Federal guidelines
- Own all financial responsibilities for the Department, including keeping meticulous records for all transactions associated with the annual budget
- Maintain the established procedures using Excel4Apps, Oracle, Tableau, Google Sheets, and Google Data Studio to continue providing weekly financial reporting and analysis (note: training will be available)
- Engage in financial planning and analysis (FP&A) in partnership with CFA's Dean's Office in preparation for University financial reviews
- Develop departmental budget with School Heads and monitor performance against forecasts
- Implement all endowed and expendable gift agreement conditions, working closely with the University's Advancement team to provide stewardship updates throughout the year
- Respond to reporting requests from both internal and external parties (collecting data for CFA, responding to audit findings)
Flexibility, excellence, and motivation are vital qualities within the School of Drama and the College of Fine Arts. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Outstanding writing and communication skills
- Strong data analytical skills
- Excellent organizational, analytical, reasoning, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain accurate, detailed, and confidential records
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, finance, operations, or related field required
- Graduate Degree (MBA or similar) preferred
- 5+ years of relevant experience, preferably within an Academic Department, Nonprofit, Startup, or educational institution
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Workspace tools
- Familiarity with Tableau is helpful
- A combination of education and meaningful experience from which comparable knowledge is proven will be considered
- Successful background check
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity? Apply today!
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Business Administration and Services
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance