Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The Department of English is seeking a business manager to fulfill the critical responsibility of leading all aspects of the operations of the Department on a day-to-day transactional level and a multi-year strategic level. The position is cross-functional and dynamic. Successful candidates will demonstrate outstanding collaboration and communication skills and be capable of working in a fast-paced, sophisticated environment.
In this position, you will be responsible for the administrative maintenance and thoughtful growth of the Department, acting as Chief of Staff to 6 direct reports, and maintaining full financial responsibility for a ~$6M budget. You will report to and advise the Department Head while working collaboratively with a team of business managers across the Dietrich College and under the advisement of the Assistant Deans for Administrative and Financial Operations.
Core Responsibilities Include:
- Own all financial responsibilities for the Department, including keeping meticulous records for all transactions associated with the annual budget. Maintain the established procedures using Excel4Apps, Oracle, Tableau, Google Sheets, and Google Data Studio to continue providing weekly financial reporting and analysis. Training will be available.
- Engage in financial planning and analysis (FP&A) in partnership with the Department Head and the Dietrich College Dean's Office in preparation for University financial reviews.
- Complete all endowed and expendable gift agreement conditions, working closely with the University's Advancement team to provide stewardship updates throughout the year.
- Oversee research grant administration to ensure efficient financial management and effort charging/certification throughout the lifecycle of grants, in close partnership with the Dietrich College Research Office.
- Supervise 6 full-time staff, academic and administrative
- Handle faculty-related aspects of Workday (CMU's HR Portal). Duties include reviewing and approving HR transactions, and specific administrative needs of faculty and staff in the Department
- Ensure that faculty, staff, and students are paid accurately and on time.
- Work closely with the Assistant Dean for Administrative Operations and the Dietrich College HR Team: HR Business Partner, HR Generalist, HR Compensation and HR Recruiter to introduce, expedite, and improve all HR processes.
- Oversee all department hiring to ensure that faculty and staff are hired according to University and Federal guidelines.
- Support the Department's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee in all of their efforts by serving on the DEI Committee, upholding the Department's Community Standards, and providing research and administrative support in implementing DEI policies.
- Review and support various legal matters, in consultation with the Head, Central HR, Dietrich College Dean's Office, and Office of the General Counsel
- Oversee 100+ Department spaces/facilities, ensuring work orders are completed on time, offices are assigned equitably, and spaces are designed in accordance with the Department style guide.
- Lead all Department educational data management, both sourcing data from within and outside of the Department in collaboration with the Dietrich College Dean's Office.
- Implement policies consistently and equitably, ensuring that the Department is fully in compliance with University and Federal guidelines.
- Serve as a key resource of information and an advisor to the Department Head and Associate Department Head, along with other department leaders in all areas of department activity
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the Dietrich College. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, finance, operations, or related field required
- Graduate Degree (MBA or similar) preferred
- 5+ years of relevant experience, preferably in higher education or educational non-profit
- 5+ years of experience with Oracle or similar tool
- 3+ years of experience managing a team
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Workspace tools; familiarity with Tableau is preferred
- Experience with Workday is a plus
Candidates should demonstrate:
- Excellent accounting skills and data analytical skills
- Ability to maintain accurate, detailed, and confidential records
- Excellent managerial and team building skills
- Excellent organizational, analytical, reasoning, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Unflappable character and professional demeanor
- Unimpeachable integrity
- Successful background check
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Business Administration and Services
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance