Floor Technician (Facilities Services Buildings & Grounds Asst 2 - MR02)
Facilities, Planning, and Management
University of Tennessee, Chattanooga
The Floor Technician participates in performing project-type daily cleaning in campus buildings. This includes responsibility for the upkeep and care of all floor surfaces throughout the campus. This position requires experience in operating scrubber, polishing, extraction, and waxing machines. Daily recycle and trash collection are also responsibilities of this position.
- Performs all aspects of floor care including cleaning, stripping, waxing, buffing, scrubbing, and carpet cleaning/shampooing, etc. in all campus buildings.
- Collects waste & recyclables from all exterior campus waste/recycling receptacles and staging locations, and delivers to recycling or disposal centers as required
- Provides additional custodial support, as directed by the Supervisor of Building Services during periods of high custodial absences, major events, or emergency situations
- Performs emergency action as a first line responder to campus emergencies such as building flooding and power outages, with actions to limit damages or restore services including: water extractions, turning off water supplies to leaking piping/fixtures, resetting breakers, securing doors and windows, etc.; includes assessment of building conditions and provides appropriate notifications for response by others
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Ability to operate machinery required in the performance position duties
- Ability to make minor repairs to this equipment
- Knowledge of the machinery and chemicals (waxes, strippers, etc.) appropriate to the flooring material
- Operating (backing/driving) vehicles such as lift gate truck and utility trailer behind vehicle
- Must be able to read, write, and communicate effectively
Review of applications will begin December 5, 2022 and continue until the position is filled. Applications received by this date will receive priority consideration.
Minimum Qualifications: Typically requires a high school diploma and six months of relevant experience, or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Preferred Qualifications: 3+ years training and experience in stripping and waxing different types of hard floor surfaces; and operating different types of floor equipment both for hard floors and carpet are preferred.
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.