Senior Plant Operator (Facilities Services Trades Specialist 4 - MR08)
Facilities Planning & Management
University of Tennessee, Chattanooga
This position is responsible for maintaining a continuous, safe, and efficient plant operation, providing heating and cooling to the Campus of UTC. This position ensures plant operates within specified parameters of energy use in order to maintain campus utility budget. Considerable independent judgement is required to ensure safe and efficient operation of a large variety of equipment in electrical and mechanical systems, including operating levels, shutdown and emergency procedures, plant startups from emergency shutdowns, etc. This position also directs the work of junior personnel and acts in supervisor's place if supervisor is absent.
- Operating, repairing, and maintaining gas and oil fired high-temperature-hot-water (HTHW) generators, chilled water and high temperature hot distribution systems for campus heating and cooling, electric chillers and all associated equipment.
- Performing plant operation in such a way that operational procedures are followed and operating parameters, including energy use guidelines, are followed.
- Managing data entry into computer control/ management systems.
- Performing chemical analysis on plant systems and mix chemicals for treating systems.
- Assisting in training and oversight of new employees in these and other safe and efficient plant operational procedures.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma or GED, and a minimum of one year of experience in operating boilers or associated equipment required. Hires without required plant operator training/experience will serve as Assistant Plant Operators before assuming Senior Plant Operator role.
$20.50/Hour - Assistant Plant Operator
$21.50/Hour - Senior Plant Operator
Successful candidates will have relevant skills or experience in repair and maintenance of valves, pumps, boilers, chillers, piping, air compressors, fans, or other mechanical equipment in a plant environment. Prior experience and skill in plant operations preferred. The ability to operate a forklift, hand tools, and small power equipment is required. Must be able to work in an energy plant operation environment, which is subject to extremes of heat, cold, frantic activity, inactivity, heavy physical activity, and times of stressful decision making.
Benefits of Becoming a UTC Moc
Why Choose Chattanooga?
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.