JOB SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Fire Safety Specialist (FSS) III performs technical tasks and provides support in the design, layout, construction, operation, inspection and maintenance of electronic, electrical, and mechanical fire alarm and suppression control systems/equipment to ensure compliance in accordance with applicable state and local fire, life and safety and building codes and ordinances. This includes fire safety inspections, emergency and exit lighting inspections, and egress pathways. This position is responsible for maintenance and inspection of University Automatic External Defibrillator (AED), and other life safety devices as assigned. The FSS detects, responds to, controls, and suppresses fire events. The position requires interaction with such entities as the Memphis Fire Department, State of Tennessee Fire Marshal, licensed fire safety contractors, and building contractors/ architects. This position is the senior level in the series, and will provide assistance and direction to FSS II and FSS I positions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the Fire Safety Officer in planning of new building control systems. Performs the inspection, testing, maintenance, and repair (in accordance with NFPA standards, state and local regulations) of all portable fire extinguishers, emergency and exit lighting.
- Troubleshoots fire alarm and suppression system malfunctions, determines appropriate repair requirements, and performs necessary repairs in accordance with NFPA standards. Provides inspection/test reports.
- Assists in general fire and life safety inspections of campus buildings and facilities to certify fire protection equipment and procedural compliance with NFPA, state, local laws, and regulations. May modify previously installed equipment to ensure compatibility with new units, or install safety devices or attachments to old equipment.
- Assist Fire Safety Contractors work while on-site, where applicable or directed. Inspects and witnesses the testing of fire protection, suppression or fire detection systems to verify that such systems are installed in accordance with appropriate state and federal laws, codes, ordinances, regulations, and standards.
- Performs journey-level fire prevention inspection for a variety of buildings. Applies technical knowledge and follows appropriate inspection techniques. Provides technical training, instruction, and assistance to maintenance personnel.
- Prepares and presents fire safety training programs to a variety of individuals.
- Assists in development of preventive maintenance schedule of fire associated equipment and performs preventive maintenance. Provides inspection/test reports and maintains records of inspections and other information related to fire safety activities.
- Reviews state and federal laws, codes, ordinances, regulations, and standards to identify standard occupancy type and other requirements (e.g., height, sprinkler system, area) for buildings, building systems, or fire safety equipment.
- Assists with fire alarm drills for University facilities; Provides training in fire and life safety, including portable fire extinguisher (PFE) use; identifies/resolves potential fire hazards; trains off hour personnel on fire alarm response procedures and disarming fire alarms.
- Responds to fire alarm and life safety emergencies on campus (24/7); resets fire alarm panels after engagement; investigates and submits written report(s) as to the cause and origin of all actual fire incident(s) on campus. Notifies campus officials of fires, the extent of the damage, and if campus personnel must take any action following the extinguishing of the fire.
- Assists University personnel, Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), Licensed fire safety service technicians, and other applicable parties with pre / post construction walk-through of affected projects as directed by the Fire Safety Officer. Perform the testing, and maintenance of Automated External Defibrillator's (AED).
- Attends approved trainings for continuing education units (CEUs) to maintain current knowledge and certification or license(s) of fire prevention, fire systems, safety, hazardous materials, and firefighting procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.