The Mission of The John Carroll School
The John Carroll School is a Catholic, co-educational, college-preparatory learning community empowering a diverse student population to attain its highest potential. Through innovative practices and curriculum, we prepare students to positively influence a global society as critical thinkers and creative problem solvers while being socially responsible, spiritually centered, and morally grounded in our Catholic beliefs.
Position Available: Director of Finance
Type of Position: Full Time - Exempt
Posting Date: May 18, 2017
The Director of Finance is responsible for all accounting functions of the School, budgeting, financial analysis, strategic financial planning, employee benefits and payroll operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following, with other duties as assigned.
- Supports the School’s mission, its leadership and policies.
- Serves on the Finance Committee, providing financial reporting and analysis, working closely with the Board Treasurer.
- Serves on the Executive Leadership Team of the School.
- Secures an unqualified opinion through the annual audit of the School’s financial reports.
Strategic Financial Planning
- In collaboration with appropriate members of the Administration, oversees short and long term financial projections including enrollment, tuition, financial aid and salary expenses.
- Short and long term analysis of debt servicing.
- Net assets and endowment enhancement.
- Ensuring internal efficiencies for long-term sustainability.
Business Office and Auxiliary Operations
- Manages Business Office staff and operations on a daily basis including but not limited to cash receipts and disbursements, deposits, accounts receivable and collections, payroll administration and processing, employee benefits, general ledger entries and monthly reconciliations, purchasing and leasing.
- Manages and reports on the results of the school store, the cafeteria food service and the year- round camp program to ensure profitability, appropriate ROI and alignment with mission.
Budgets and Forecasting
- Manages all aspects of the annual financial budgeting process including but not limited to establishing parameters, coordination of budget creation through collaboration with all budget managers, monthly monitoring and reporting to the President and the Finance Committee.
- In collaboration with budget managers, creates forecast for yearly results as needed and requested by the President and the Finance Committee.
- Manages the cash flow of the School on a short and long-term basis.
Investment and Banking
- Manages banking and financial relationships of the School.
- Monitors, records and reports on investment performance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Experience with Veracross, preferred or a similar SIS.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and active listening skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, handle confidential matters with discretion, and develop a broad knowledge of the School’s programs, practices, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to interact with a wide-ranging constituency.
- Proficiency in a variety of software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint .
Education and / or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, with a Master’s or CPA preferred
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in schools and/or non-profits, including supervisory roles
- A record of proven management and leadership success
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment listed below represent what must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Walking, standing, climbing, pushing, stooping, bending, stretching, and lifting.
Must be able to work flexible hours as needed to include evenings and weekends.