Classification: Salary, Exempt
Status: Full-time, 12 month
Reports to: Assistant Head for Finance and Administration
The Controller position will be responsible for the preparation of financial reports, such as balance sheets, revenue/expense statements including transaction entries, and analysis of historical and future revenue and expenses, in additional to other special reports that may be needed. The Controller insures that strong internal controls and effective transaction processing routines protect the assets of the school and result in meaningful, timely and accurate financial reporting. The Controller position requires an individual with technically strong accounting skills who can multi-task, prioritize work effectively and meet deadlines. The position requires strong attention to detail and function effectively in a fast-paced environment. The Controller should have excellent communication skills and be comfortable interacting with all constituencies of The Lamplighter School.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Cross-train on finance functions such as accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general ledger
- Oversee month-end close, resulting in timely and meaningful financial reports that accurately represent the financial performance of the school. This includes financial statements, bank reconciliation review, journal entry review, construction projects, variance analyses and other dashboard reports and metrics.
- Prepare, post, reconcile, and track all investment activity, capital assets, leases, and related accounting entries
- Oversee daily cash balances and make recommendation for cash transfers to Assistant Head for Finance and Administration.
- Assist the Assistant Head for Finance and Administration in preparation of and monitoring all monthly departmental budget reports and forecasts.
- Prepare monthly reports and analyses for the Finance, Investment, Construction, and Audit committees.
- Prepare cash flow analyses and projections for contribution pledges.
- With the Assistant Head for Finance and Administration, review monthly budget reports and forecasts, working with administrators and budget owners on financial performance, including identifying and communicating any material performance concerns or program changes.
- Review and update internal control procedures and ensure compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Actively stay current on new regulations in GAAP and relevant non-profit accounting issues
- Assist the Assistant Head for Finance and Administration with the annual budgeting process and long-range financial projections.
- Assist with the annual financial audit of the School as well as the annual IRS Form 990
- Remain aware and current of independent school industry trends and activities
- Review and/or file forms, including but not limited to, the annual 1099 forms
- Prepare and annually update dashboard analyses of key school factors and trends
- Responsible for other duties as assigned by the Assistant Head for Finance and Administration and Head of School
- Reports to the Assistant Head for Finance and Administration.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to set priorities and meet multiple deadlines with minimum supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively and comfortably interact with all constituencies and representatives from the business community
- Excellent Excel skills
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge a plus
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Occasionally lift up to 10 lbs.
- Generally works in standard office conditions and climate
- Works well in a busy school business office environment able to deal with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines