The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day processing of all of the School’s accounts payable transactions. A key member of the Business Office team, and often on the front lines of many financial transactions, the AP Specialist supports Crossroads’ financial objectives by performing all tasks in an efficient, up-to-date and accurate manner.
Education and Experience:
Applicants should have a minimum of an AA degree with a concentration in accounting, and a minimum of two years actual experience in the computerized processing of accounts payable. Alternatively, a successful candidate might have the equivalent experience of at least five years in accounting or finance with demonstrated competency in accounts payable processing in a busy environment.
Skills & Ability:
Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and timeliness in preparing and entering financial information
Ability to organize, update and maintain files in an orderly and timely manner
Ability to establish quickly a familiarity with the School’s chart of accounts, operating and capital budgets, departmental personnel and operations.
Strong oral andwritten communication ability and a customer service orientation, providing timely responses to inquiries and excellent interpersonal skills
Strong research and analytical skills, required to regularly investigate problems and questions and suggest resolution
Working knowledge of database software (esp. Blackbaud Financial Edge) preferred
Thorough knowledge and experience with MS Office, particularly Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel applications
Ability to work in a team environment and able to interact professionally with staff, faculty, and vendors. Some exposure is also likely with parents and students
Ability to use standard office equipment and type at least sixty (60) words per minute
Be an enthusiastic learner who seeks both further training and professional development
Duties and Responsibilities: May include but not limited to the following:
• Receives, verifies and enters invoices and requisitions for goods and services, including check requests for a variety of expenses, including reimbursement
• Verifies the accuracy of amounts and account information used, and makes sure that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures such as aging and discounts
• Researches vendor inquiries, resolves invoicing discrepancies, follows up on credits due and communicates with vendors and contractors as needed
• Ensures that the accounting period for charges is accurate, the purpose is clear, coding is correct, and required approvals have been obtained on all backup for payment
• Produces checks twice weekly, preparing them for signature and ensuring that they are mailed on time
• Maintains both computerized and paper vendor and contract files, and works under supervision of Accounting Manager and Controller to develop appropriate methods for storage and archiving of each
•Prepares manual payroll checks as required
• Assists the Accounting Manager and Controller with the annual audit as needed
• Distributes business office mail
• Balances, reconciles and proposes adjustments as necessary between the accounts payable subsidiary ledger, accrued liabilities and general ledger control accounts.
• Performs miscellaneous administrative tasks as needed and often answers questions from a variety of department personnel from around the School.
The employee is required to lift and carry up to a maximum of 40 pounds of weight, with or without carrying handles. Position requires sitting while operating computer equipment for approximately 8 hours daily, with repetitive motion for typing and other keystroke processes.
All interested applicants please send an employment application and resume to Human Resource at Resumes@xrds.org.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. Essential duties and responsibilities are intended to describe those functions that are essential to the performance of this job (including physical requirements). An incumbent must be able to perform all of the essential duties and responsibilities described above. An employee holding this position will be required to perform any other job related duties as requested by management. All requirements are subject to reasonable accommodation in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Looking for a dynamic, diverse, student-centered school environment in which to work? Perhaps a career in progressive education is for you! Crossroads School for Arts and Sciences, a non-profit, independent school, offers a range of professional opportunities, as well as a highly-competitive salary and benefits package for full-time employees. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insu...rance, tuition assistance, a retirement plan, and generous vacation.
Crossroads School does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, gender or gender identity, age, or sexual orientation.